Pin Driving Fluid, was: New Screws in New Pinblock

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:58:51 -0400

I had posted a year ago: "Why do folks use pin driving fluid, rosen, =
varnish, and whatever else? Do manufacturers use these things?" And =
never got a definitive answer. The few reasons I was able to cull from =
30 minutes with the archives follows:

When the pin driving fluid has dried, it IS rosin!<G> AND it does seal =
the
block from outside contaminants. (SMOG, Salt air, etc.)=20

I found that ALL of the pins that were swabbed with the =3D
"Pin Driving Fluid" were consistantly smoother. Also, they had less =3D
propensity(?) to "pop" and had a lower torque than those driven "dry". =
=3D
Several of the "dry" pins actually broke(!), where the pins with "PDF", =
=3D
in the same size holes, DID NOT!

Nothing at all works quite well too with the current cut
thread pins if you can keep your hands clean and dry when stringing. The
rosin et all is just added assurance (buffer) toward establishing the =
ideal
interface. It's not the product, it's what the product does that counts.
That's really all there is to it.=20

Sealing the block from outside contaminants? Hmmmm. Breaking off pins =
without PDF? - Shouldn't drilling the correct size hole solve that? Ron =
N.'s explanation of how a PDF does its job is good, but implies that to =
justify PDF use, you were running into jumpy pinblocks in the first =
place.

Is that why folks use PDF - so they don't end up with jumpy pins? How =
often does one run across jumpy pins on your own pinblocks? Is this not =
controllable by drilling good holes and keeping things clean?

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20