Pin Driving Fluid, was: New Screws in New Pinblock

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:28:35 -0500

>Sealing the block from outside contaminants? Hmmmm. Breaking off pins
>without PDF? - Shouldn't drilling the correct size hole solve that? Ron
>N.'s explanation of how a PDF does its job is good, but implies that to
>justify PDF use, you were running into jumpy pinblocks in the first place.
>
>Is that why folks use PDF - so they don't end up with jumpy pins? How
>often does one run across jumpy pins on your own pinblocks? Is this not
>controllable by drilling good holes and keeping things clean?
>
>Terry Farrell

Ok, from what I've seen so far, pdf widens your margin for error in
producing an acceptable job. Like everything else, there's no absolute
binary criteria, only lots of variable factors to weigh. If, with the block
you use, and the pins you use, and the methods you employ, your results are
too unpredictable to meet your personal criteria, use the pdf.