"Romantic" tuning

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:39:26 -0600

As far as I know from musicological studies, you would need to determine
the nationality of the music or if she is accompanying Romantic era
vocal music i.e. the "Verdi" tuning. The romantic era was all over the
place as far as tuning was concerned. France at A=3D 434- A=3D 456, and =
most
of Europe between A=3D 420- A=3D 460. Liszt and Wagner preferring =
A=3D440 or
above A=3D 456, and redesigning instruments to accommodate.
If you REALLY had to tune to a "romantic tuning" I would settle on
A=3D435, actually for vocal reasons.

    Those are pitch considerations, not temperament considerations.  =
Tuning an equal temperament at a different pitch won't change the =
character of the tuning, just its pitch level, whereas using a different =
temperament will alter the "character" of the various keys.
    --David Nereson, RPT