Accu-Just Hitch Pins

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:36:07 -0700 (GMT)

>This is already in the archives at least a couple of times, but this will

>get it into the new system.
>    Bubble reading to Degrees to Bearing Load conversion
>    for Lowell and Baldwin downbearing gauges....................
>Ron N
>
>[file archived at:]
>
>https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/2003-June/000042.html
>
>[Alternate URL:]
>
>http://tinyurl.com/f7mh

Ron,

         Some things about this chart are unclear to me.  What do the numbers under the heading 'Bubble' represent?  Lines on the gauge?  I don't have a Baldwin gauge but on the Lowell gauge (at least on the old one I have) I believe there are major lines and minor lines.  I think it's every fourth line that's a major line.  Does a bubble reading of 1 on your chart correspond to 1 minor line on the Lowell gauge?  I don't have the Lowell instructions in front of me but I was under the impression that 1 major line corresponded to 1 degree of bearing, but that doesn't seem to agree with your chart.
         Also, how does the term division in the Baldwin instructions correspond to your bubble reading?  I was under the impression that 1 division corresponded to 0.5 degrees bearing.  So the bearing on the Baldwin pianos is tapering from 0.5 degrees (initial) bearing in the bass to 1.5 degrees in the treble.  But according to your chart there don't seem to be any readings on the Baldwin gauge that correspond exactly to 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5 degrees bearing, which seems odd since this gauge was presumably designed to set bearing on their pianos.  Call me confused.

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 130