Accu-Just Hitch Pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:59:55 -0500

>          Some things about this chart are unclear to me.  What do the
> numbers under the heading 'Bubble' represent?  Lines on the gauge?

Yes.

>I don't have a Baldwin gauge but on the Lowell gauge (at least on the old
>one I have) I believe there are major lines and minor lines.  I think it's
>every fourth line that's a major line.  Does a bubble reading of 1 on your
>chart correspond to 1 minor line on the Lowell gauge?

The only Lowell gages I've seen are calibrated in 10' increments, or 1/6°.
Baldwin's gage is calibrated in 17' increments, I think, and since the
instructions were in Baldwinese, I sent a conversion chart with degrees. If
you happen to have a level with different calibration, read the degrees per
line from the Baldwin chart and translate to fit yours. Baldwin's gage is
0.005" rise per inch per division, Lowell's is 0.003". This is exactly why
I have been saying since the first piano I strung that degrees is the only
sensible measure for stating down bearing, and everyone can convert to
their own personal scale from there. Call it a universal exchange standard.

Also, my experience is that any similarity found in actual Baldwin
production pianos, to results obtained from these official instructions, is
purely coincidental.

Ron N