argh!

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:15:44 -0400

Ron,

A few days ago I spoke with a gentleman who wanted me to come tune his piano
because "the last tuner's job didn't last very long."  I explained that, while
the tuner may have been at fault, a more likely cause is the seasonal humidity
fluctuation, which has been wild so far this year, and I can't guarantee that
my job will last any longer.

This scenario bothers me.  How can one protect his reputation in light of the
strange weather we've been having lately (long very cold winter followed by a
cool very wet spring)?  I can't think of any way, if the customer isn't
interested in humidity control, and even the tunings of some of the pianos with
complete systems aren't holding up as well as usual.  In an ordinary year this
is almost the best time to schedule a tuning.  Thoughts, anyone?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA