This Needs A Definitive Settlement was RE: 12 cents

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:00:22 -0500

>I may be wrong (always a distinct possibility) but didn't Dr. Sanderson
>and others test this whole business and determine that all changes to
>the piano caused by changing string tensions are immediate?

I agree. I don't see how plates and frames will be shifting significantly
with a minor pitch adjustment. There is a very definite factor, however,
that is almost universally ignored, and that is strings rendering through
bridges.

We most likely aren't going to get string segment tensions on opposite
sides of the conventionally pinned bridge equal with just a normal and/or
usual tuning. It isn't going to happen, as we have no way of determining
what those tension differences are, and there is enough friction across
that bridge to allow for a considerable difference (in resulting pitch).
Over a couple of days, especially with play, segment tensions will more
nearly equalize and the tuning will drift. Doing the second tuning a week
or so after the pitch correction will leave a better tuning for a longer
time, but you need a customer who is willing to pay for a nicety they may
very well not be in a position to appreciate, given that the piano was
allowed to get into a condition of needing a pitch correction before it was
tuned this time.

There isn't any ONE, ABSOLUTE, DEFINITIVE ANSWER, but I'm convinced that
friction at the bridge is a much larger part of this than is typically
given credit, and very likely the major cause.

Ron N