Practical Approaches was RE: This Needs A Definitive Settlement was RE: 12 cents

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:54:38 -0500

Okay, that's good. Now, how's this...

Whenever I do a pitch correction more than about 10 cents, I always
inform the client that the piano will not hold this tuning as long and
as well as the piano is otherwise capable of. This is especially true
for the once-in-a-decade crowd.

I explain that seasonal changes are a big factor but that if the piano
is tuned regularly, it will begin to stabilize better between tunings.
If the piano is healthy, I also tell them that I will never charge them
for pitch corrections, even if one is needed--provided that I tune the
piano at least twice a year--once a year for sweet little old ladies
with Acrosonics.

I know we've had discussions about paying for pc's. Except as above, I
ALWAYS charge and I explain why to the customer. To me it is a selling
point for more regular tunings and an education for the client. Plus,
pc's are more work and I deserve to be paid--I'm trading expertise for
money, not just time for money. I always explain--at least briefly--the
science of it all. It seems to be well accepted.

Point: I think the above spiel covers me if the tuning DOES go a little
south after a big pitch change.

BUT one other thing: I put a lot of energy into each string when I
perform a pc--POUND, POUND, POUND. I want those strings to move under MY
control, not while Ms. Pianowner is rapping out really raucous
Rachmaninoff rhapsodies.

Not 12 cents here, just my little 2 cents. Does it make "cents?"

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO