A "simple" see saw question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:05:56 -0500

Professor Fowler's comments make complete sense to me. But I do not =
understand some things that your folks state.

"If you then push down on one end and let go the see saw will rock back =
and forth until slowly it refinds its state of equilibruim."

Why would it rock back and forth? I don't think it would. If you push =
down on one end, it will continue with the rotational movement you =
imparted until either friction stopped it, or until one end hit the =
ground perhaps. If, as the professor says, the seesaw has the axle right =
through the center of gravity of the plank, it would always be in =
equilibrium, and have no need to "seek" some state of equilibrium.

"I understand that friction is the thing that brings it back into =
equilibruim, ..."

It will always be in equilibrium, friction will only serve to slow the =
rotational movement.

"...but why the rotational movement to begin with exactly?"

Because a seesaw is constrained in that manner, only allowing rotational =
movement. Or am I missing something here?

"Science answer: Gravity applied to the see saw,  gravity applied to the =
weight, force/counter force etc."

I don't think gravity really has much net effect in this situation - =
other than to keep things from flying away from us.

"Ya think ?? Funny how a phsyics professor seemed to miss this..."

Don't understand your thinking here at all.

Terry Farrell

Brian Lawson wrote:

> Science answer: Gravity applied to the see saw,  gravity applied to =
the
> weight, force/counter force etc.

Ya think ?? Funny how a phsyics professor seemed to miss this... or did =
he.
Perhaps you could take a shot at being a bit more specific..... ??

 =20
----- Original Message -----=20