Jumpy tuning pins

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:42:54 -0500

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 11:18  PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>> Is there a remedy for a piano where just about every tuning pin is
>> jumpy?
>
> Several - among them, new block, new pins. Protek CLP has been
> reported to help

Yow! "Reported" perhaps, but I'm surprised to see this gem being passed
on by you Ron. Too many gullible minds out here in the ether, y'know?
Yes I do think (no I haven't checked the archives just running on my
fallible memory cells) Newton or some other luminary suggested it for a
last ditch situation where torque is insanely high, but I doubt this is
good generic advice for "jumpiness" (perhaps switching to decaf would
be a start??).
Sometimes pins can be rather jumpy but also have low torque once the
initial "stickiness" threshold is broken (oversize pins rubbing on
plate etc). I think Protek would be disastrous in such a case.

Or am I the one who should switch to decaf??

Patrick