Jumpy tuning pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:20:15 -0600

>Yow! "Reported" perhaps, but I'm surprised to see this gem being passed on
>by you Ron. Too many gullible minds out here in the ether, y'know? Yes I
>do think (no I haven't checked the archives just running on my fallible
>memory cells) Newton or some other luminary suggested it for a last ditch
>situation where torque is insanely high, but I doubt this is good generic
>advice for "jumpiness" (perhaps switching to decaf would be a start??).

That was Vince Mrykalo who had tried it as a last resort in an otherwise
impossible piano. He said it helped, and hasn't reported any problem with
it in the four or five years since he did it. I didn't and don't recommend
it as good generic advice, but if the piano is untunable from tight jumpy
pins, and replacing the block and/or pins isn't an option, there just
aren't many ways left to go.

>Sometimes pins can be rather jumpy but also have low torque once the
>initial "stickiness" threshold is broken (oversize pins rubbing on plate
>etc). I think Protek would be disastrous in such a case.

Of course, but I assumed this was obvious to Stan.

>Or am I the one who should switch to decaf??
>
>Patrick

No, you're fine. It's hard for me to know what of the near infinite number
of relevant disclaimers and qualifiers to include in a post. I tend to
assume I'm talking to professionals with a grasp of the basics so I try not
to unnecessarily insult them by pointing out something I presume they
already know. Not everyone agrees that I draw the line in the right place
every time, including me.

Besides, if I do it wrong, someone will hopefully help me out by bringing
it to my attention - thusly.

Ron N