System Three Varnish

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 20:59:38 -0800 (PST)

Frankly, I think that the dude who wrote this blurb on
varnish for Wilson Selby and Associates is the same
cat who dreamed up "Mezzo-Thermoneal Stabilizer"! Why,
exactly, would a varnish be "too hard" for exterior
use on a home? Did he actuallly mean "interior", and
for "hardness" mean the "toughness", which makes spar
varnish less appealing, visually?  Interior varnishes
are "rubbing" varnishes, harder than spar varnish,
such as Pratt & Lambert's #38, considered the BEST
interior furniture varnish ( according to Fine
Woodworking ).
     But that was before Sherwin Williams bought it.
Its no longer amber.  Now its PURPLE!  Similarly,
after SW bought ML Campbell, many I know had trouble
with their nitrocellulose curing.
    Terry: Strictly for cosmetic reasons, I highly
discourage the idea of using spar varnish on a visible
board, instead of, say, NC lacquer.  The increased
drying time of varnish allows more dust specks to
settle in it, and as spar doesn't dry rubbable, the
little bumps can't be easily rubbed out. Use
traditional interior furniture rubbing varnish if you
must use varnish, or lacquer,
     Thump