what's with the new temperaments?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:45:20 +0000

Thanks, ric, for taking the time to read and respond!  Good info on the
historical "purpose".... hope you have some sucess, report back as you find
out more.

I'm afraid my journey has been less theoretical and more applied tuning.  I
started to use graphing to get a "drift" of what was going on with the
temperaments, then looked for patterns.  The basic bell shape curve in the
circle of fifths order for the well temperaments, for example.  What drove
me to look into other intervals were the "surprises"... Take the Moore, with
it's flat-top graph, instead of a bell shape.  Even though all of the remote
keys are equally wide (in cents) of pure, the Ab triad sounds the roughest.

<ric wrote>
>  Armed with spreadsheets, graphs, available pianos
I would like to see the historical evidence that historical
theorists were aware of and cultivating this m3-M3 aspect.  And
how do you define this?

I'll post two temperaments below, that I'd like to get feedback
from
>those of you willing/able to give them a test.

These are modern rather than historical?     ---rm....
<end>

As far as I know, the look at the m3/M3 ratio is a new phenomenon.  It
involves predicting the beat rates in a temperament for various intervals.
Then dividing the beat rate of the minor third by the beat rate of the major
third.  So in the CEG triad, divide EG by CE.

And Yes, the temperaments I posted are all creations of living people.

Ron Koval