Gray Market Pianos/Bad for business

LarryinAtlanta@aol.com LarryinAtlanta@aol.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:44:39 EST

In a message dated 3/3/2003 9:35:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kpiano@goldrush.com writes:

> I have to disagree. Yamaha has no way of protecting the consumer from
> dealers that sell their piano in a climate that they fall apart.

Would someone explain to me why Yamaha is apparently building inferior pianos
and then admitting it? There are two pianos from Japan, and the other one
says they build their pianos for a world market - in other words, they don't
"season" pianos differently depending on where they're going. In fact, they
make a big deal out of this fact in their literature, and on their website.
In my opinion, Yamaha is admitting that their piano is inferior to Kawai,
since there is no discussion about Kawai pianos "falling apart" if they end
up "somewhere they aren't supposed to". After that, I'd like to know just how
it is that you "season" particleboard. I agree with them however - the Kawai
is a better piano in my opinion.

I don't buy into this story. Do some pianos end up not doing well in drier
climates? Yes. But I don't think it has a thing to do with how a piano is
"seasoned" at the factory. I think any "seasoning" done happens over time
during its life. You can move a Baldwin that spent 20 years in Florida to
Arizona and it won't like it either. This opinion seems to be shared in the
Piano Book as well. There was no trend found at all of these "gray market"
pianos having a higher rate of problems than any other pianos.

There is no such thing as "gray market pianos". There are just pianos that
Yamaha gets to make money on, and pianos they don't get to make money on.
Each piano should be judged on its own merit, and things done to compensate
for the shift in environments the piano is asked to live in. If the piano
ends up in an area where the humidity is very low, a Damppchaser system
should be installed to help the piano. But I do not believe the pianos are
"falling apart" because of some secret "seasoning" process. I do believe that
Yamaha is losing sales of new pianos to them however, and have taken a grain
of truth from back in the 50s and 60s and used it to try to cut their losses.
 Curing wood is no big secret, so if they are really doing this, I see no
reason they can't explain just how they do it.

Larry Fletcher
Atlanta Chapter