Epoxy on boards

Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:29:35 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 03, 2003 6:43 AM
Subject: Epoxy on boards

> Thanks Del! I do hope you will try the Epotek 301,
> though. It has a truly watery consistency which, of
> course, flows out beautifully. It's crystal-clear, and
> I would be interested in your opinion, in terms of
> comparison, of an epoxy which might permeate the baord
> just a wee bit more.

I was unable to find out much about Epotek. While I was preparing the
articles I did call the company but the person I talked to was either unable
or unwilling to give me any technical details about the material. Even to
the point of being unwilling to tell me if the material had evaporating
thinners in it. They were unwilling to supply any samples and I was
unwilling to purchase any just for those articles.

I have limited time and resources to devote to this kind of research so I
write about what I know and use. I use and am familiar with Gougeon Bros.
WEST epoxies, System Three epoxies and MAS epoxies. I've used them all on
various boats and I've used them all on various pianos. I'd rather not
speculate--especially not in a published Journal article--on the performance
of products I've never used. But I'd like to hear about them. I would
welcome the input of anyone having extensive experience with any of the
other 987 (+/-) brands and types of epoxy available, including Epotek. If
you, or anyone else, would like to devote some time, money and effort to
evaluating and directly comparing Epotek 301 with the epoxies described in
the article, I'd love to read about the results. Work up some samples, do
some tests and let us know. Right now I'm on to other things.

Del