in your own words - why pianos go out of tune

Wallace Scherer wallyts@iname.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:52:54 -0500

I try to tell my customers this - or most of this. I copied it off my web page:

"Many customers ask me, "How often should I have my piano tuned?" There is no one answer that fits everybody. Pianos which have tuning pins that are tight will generally hold their pitch better than pianos with somewhat loose tuning pins. Tuning pins become loose with age, with frequent humidity changes, or if they are constructed of inferior materials. Pianos that are played frequently or heavily will need tuning more often than those that are played infrequently or lightly. A piano that is moved around a lot will generally need more frequent tunings than one that stays in the same place. Pianos in a well controlled climatic environment will stay tuned longer than those in places where temperatures and humidity change often."

"As a rule of thumb, I recommend to my customers whose pianos are played a couple of hours a week or less that a tuning once a year is generally sufficient, assuming the pins are fairly tight. To those whose pianos are used more, twice a year may be necessary. A new piano will require more frequent tunings in the first two or three years until the strings, wood, etc., have stabilized."

Hope this is helpful.

Wally Scherer
Lake Worth, Florida
--