what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Paul Bailey pbailey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:04:33 -0800

Ric,		I tune well temperament because most performers and most
audiences prefer to hear music played in well temperament.

I've done my homework, and I've conducted the comparisons of responses
to historical and modern well temperaments. I have observed that
professional pianists and teachers who despise well temperament actually
prefer to hear a well tempered piano, AS LONG AS THEY
DON'T SEE THE LABELS.......

Orchestra musicians frequently comment that the piano has a singing
quality, sustain and power they've not heard before; and that they are
much more comfortable with the intonation and ensemble.

  Some composers and composer-performers, some with international
reputations, prefer to have well tempered tuning for the performance of
their compositions, from ragtime to sonatas and chamber music, and opera.

So, this creates some interesting conflicts about who should be told
what, and when, doesn't it?

I think Robert Wendell may actually be creating new temperaments,
although his temperaments adhere to very traditional and conservative
values that have been practiced for hundreds of years.

I'm not so sure I'm actually creating new temperaments, but it's
essentially impossible to know. Because my temperaments 'follow the
rules'
in the outcome, but the bearing plans require tempering techniques that
are not documented as having been known in the 18th and early
19th centuries....However, there is documentation of temperaments that
were described with mathematical exactness, which have characteristics
very similar to the characteristics of my temperaments. I think it's
very likely that I have the 'modern' acoustical knowledge and
mathematical tools to describe well temperaments that were practiced in
the past - but the tuners of those times didn't have
the math and theory to describe what they were doing, and the theorists
weren't good enough tuners to describe accurately what the tuners were
doing.  I think it's likely that the the equal beating qualities may
have been strong enough attractors that some tuners would have
instinctively found their way to the same temperament(s) that I have
described.

After all, my temperaments aren't very far off from, say the Young Rep.
18th century, or some others I could name, but they don't quite fit
the mathematically elegant description of, say the Young temperament or
Valotti's temperament. But my temperaments have elegant aural
bearing plans, self-defining bearing plans, bearing plans that of course
work best if followed accurately, but still  produce appropriate and
balanced outcomes if a little error creeps in here or there.

See, what I think is that tuning was practiced in a pragmatic way. Well
Temperament would have been tuned in the easiest, least stressful
way. Let the interactions of the tones define the path. It happens that
this type of bearing plan produces excellent harmonic balance, and
also maximum equal beating and maximum synchronicity.  I'm not going to
wait until somebody runs across this exact method in some musty dusty
library....Oh, and yes, significant bits of these equal beating and
synchronicity qualities do appear in several of the, er, 'legitimate'
  historical temperaments. So my 'inventions' - I don't think of my work
as invention, I pay attention, and notice things - may be refinements,
or may be reconstructions of actual practice, which was perhaps not
exactly the same as theoretical description.

We can never know these things for sure, but we can tune temperaments
and play music, and listen and observe.....

-Paul Bailey