Humble request: What to swab loose pin holes with?

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 14:53:06 -0600

Hi Thump,

What about filling the pinblock holes with epoxy, allowing it to cure hard,
and then redrilling for original size tuning pins?  A few years ago I
researched a little bit about this, and found Epotek 301 epoxy.  Epotek 301
is optically clear and cures very hard.  It was about $57.00 for a pint of
epoxy and a small bottle of hardener.  It is measured and mixed by weight,
using a gram scale.  I have no actual experience using this
product.  However, in the literature I received from Epotek, some of the
historic pianos at the Smithsonian had been repaired in this manner, to be
able to continue to use the original parts.

http://www.epotek.com/   web page for Epotek
http://www.epotek.com/optical.html   web page comparing different optical
epoxies
http://www.epotek.com/optical_listing.html#Product:%20301  web page for
Epotek 301

Alternatively, here is another repair that I have used with acceptable
results.  This was for a old no-name grand piano with really loose tuning
pins and I had a small budget.  The short story (don't ask) is that I used
fiberglass resin to fill the tuning pin holes about a third or 1/2 full,
then while the fiberglass resin was still liquid, I pounded in tuning pins
one size larger.  The next day the tuning pins were very, very
tight.  Unfortunately, they were also very jumpy.

I have not seen the piano in six years so I don't know about the longevity
of this repair.  I got the fiberglass resin from an automotive supply store
that sold a lot of products for auto body repair.  I don't remember the
brand of fiberglass resin.    If you do this, be carefull not to overfill
the tuning pin holes.  No more than 1/3 or 1/2 full.  Otherwise, as you are
pounding in tuning pins, the fiberglass resin could well up and flood the
web area of the plate.

These two repairs might work, and are relatively inexpensive.

As far as swabbing tuning pin holes, I have never done that.  I have,
however repaired a few loose tuning pins by removing the pin, squirting
thick CA glue in the tuning pin hole and reusing the same tuning pin.  Lots
of torque after the CA cures.  I am sure that epoxy would also give good
results and would probably be longer lasting.

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO