Grey Market Pianos/Dealers

JStan40@aol.com JStan40@aol.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 15:13:10 EST

While it might be true that a manufacture will slightly alter specifications
for different regions of the world, there is no such thing as a piano that
is design to work for an entire geographic region in terms of climate; the
US for example has almost every extreme possible. Besides, these pianos are
located in homes that are in very similar climate controlled environments.
The reason that this is such a concern for the manufacturer is that the
prices are set differently in each region: a C5 in Japan sells for about
$18,000, while in the US the same piano costs more like $31,000. If there is
too much cross contamination, the price structure here in the US would begin
to destabilize.

Bradley M. Snook
Rice University, Shepherd School of Music

Forgive me if I've missed this on the current discussion of gray/grey market
pianos, but I seem to recall from one of the previous discussions that there
is a cultural component to the situation.  That is, that Japanese consumers
rarely purchase used/rebuilt/rewhatevered pianos, but go quite far out on the
financial limb to buy new, and perhaps more frequently than is true in the
west (not certain as to where that idea comes from).  If this is true, then a
large number of used pianos--most rewhateverable, at least--end up on the
dealer's hands, with very little prospect of selling them in the home market.
 Is not THIS where the container ships become the remedy, with the
consequence that perhaps the US Yamaha dealer's greatest competition is his
own product (Yamaha) coming into the country used?  And what does this do to
warranty work (such as may be done by any given dealer), when a customer MAY
have been told that it is just "a used Yamaha in fine condition"?  Not even
parts available?

Seems to me that it's really Yamaha competing with itself, on a very
elemental level, with customers, dealers, techs...........all caught in the
middle of a situation which none of them seem to feel is being handled
fairly.

Conrad?  Have you shipped it yet?

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL