Bottom was top ten pianos

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:44:03 EST

tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

> Okay, now here's that other list. I'll start:
>
> 1. Lester "Betsy Ross"
>  2. Any piano with the word "Winter" in the name
>  3. Most church "basement" or rec-room pianos
>  4. PA Stark and similar 60's spinets
>  5. Gulbransen spinets/consoles
>  6. Pianos that have been underwater more than 6 decades
>  7. Any piano with bass string diameters exceeding, say, 1/2 inch <G>
>
> Your turn.
>
> Alan Barnard
>  Salem, MO

I will start by taking exception to your list, Alan.

1. Lester "Betsy Ross"
It's the plastic elbows that gave this little spinet its bad name. Once the
elbows have been replaced, they are not too bad.

 2. Any piano with the word "Winter" in the name.
Depends on which vintage. Some older Winters are OK. But I agree that any
Winter made between 1950 and 1970 should be used for boat anchors.

 3. Most church "basement" or rec-room pianos.
Again, watch your generalization. Not all church basements or rec rooms are
recipients of old worn out uprights.

 4. PA Stark and similar 60's spinets.
Those are fighting words. My dad worked for Starck, although only for a few
years.

 5. Gulbransen spinets/consoles.
I like Gully's They are stable, and don't sound too bad.

 6. Pianos that have been underwater more than 6 decades
Huh?

 7. Any piano with bass string diameters exceeding, say, 1/2 inch <G>
Like which one? I don't think any bass string exceeds 3/8"

Wim