Bottom was top ten pianos

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:08:48 -0600

Hey I'm with Wim.  I bought a Betsy Ross Spinet for $50 and replaced the =
plastic elbows (all but 8 were broken)  and damper flanges, regulated it =
and it turned out quite nice.  Pinblock solid as a rock.  Very stable =
when tuned.  My son is proud of it!

Elwood Doss, Jr.

Okay, now here's that other list. I'll start:
 =20
1. Lester "Betsy Ross"
2. Any piano with the word "Winter" in the name
3. Most church "basement" or rec-room pianos
4. PA Stark and similar 60's spinets
5. Gulbransen spinets/consoles
6. Pianos that have been underwater more than 6 decades
7. Any piano with bass string diameters exceeding, say, 1/2 inch <G>
 =20
Your turn.
 =20
Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

  I will start by taking exception to your list, Alan.=20

  1. Lester "Betsy Ross"=20
  It's the plastic elbows that gave this little spinet its bad name. =
Once the elbows have been replaced, they are not too bad.=20

  2. Any piano with the word "Winter" in the name.=20
  Depends on which vintage. Some older Winters are OK. But I agree that =
any Winter made between 1950 and 1970 should be used for boat anchors.=20

  3. Most church "basement" or rec-room pianos.=20
  Again, watch your generalization. Not all church basements or rec =
rooms are recipients of old worn out uprights.=20

  4. PA Stark and similar 60's spinets.=20
  Those are fighting words. My dad worked for Starck, although only for =
a few years.=20

  5. Gulbransen spinets/consoles.
  I like Gully's They are stable, and don't sound too bad.=20

  6. Pianos that have been underwater more than 6 decades
  Huh?

  7. Any piano with bass string diameters exceeding, say, 1/2 inch <G>
  Like which one? I don't think any bass string exceeds 3/8"

  Wim