Bottom was top ten pianos

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:23:40 -0600

  Wim said: " I will start by taking exception to your list, Alan."  My
comments interspersed:

  1. Lester "Betsy Ross"
  It's the plastic elbows that gave this little spinet its bad name. Once
the elbows have been replaced, they are not too bad.

      Okay, I am going on my somewhat limited experience with these little
beauties. But they are still spinets. One nice feature is that you can
replace the elbows without taking out the drop action.

  2. Any piano with the word "Winter" in the name.
  Depends on which vintage. Some older Winters are OK. But I agree that any
Winter made between 1950 and 1970 should be used for boat anchors.

      But aren't they pretty little cases?  I think many people in that era
went to the store to buy a piano and were dazzled by the furniture, instead.

  3. Most church "basement" or rec-room pianos.
  Again, watch your generalization. Not all church basements or rec rooms
are recipients of old worn out uprights.

  Maybe I should have specified country churches. In Dent County. And six
surrounding counties. Actually, the Licking (Stop Laughing!) Methodist
Church has a vintage Wurlitzer upright that hasn't been tuned in years and
only sounds mildly horrible. It's missing many ivories but has one of the
most beautiful cases I've seen. I'd love to see it restored. I'd bet it's
sound could blow away the Young Chang baby g in the chapel, which I do get
to tune every six months.

  4. PA Stark and similar 60's spinets.
  Those are fighting words. My dad worked for Starck, although only for a
few years.

  He is welcome to all the Stark spinet business in my area (fortunately,
not that many). I've seen a big Stark that was "okay."

  5. Gulbransen spinets/consoles.
  I like Gully's They are stable, and don't sound too bad.

  Ah, yes. These are the folks who put in plastic elbows, plastic wippen
flanges, and plastic damper flanges. For sentimental reasons, I was paid to
replace 88 flanges, 60+ damper flanges, and 88 elbows. Tune it every six
months. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seated all the upper treble
strings and that sucker still howls like a cat in love.

  6. Pianos that have been underwater more than 6 decades
  Huh?

  A reference to Babe Ruth and his ice follies.

  7. Any piano with bass string diameters exceeding, say, 1/2 inch <G>
  Like which one? I don't think any bass string exceeds 3/8"

  Ish hard to talg wif ma tongue in ma cheek thish way. I was not attempting
to make a one-size-fits-all hate list, here, just having a little fun!

  Wim