Pinblock Installation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:22:45 -0500

Excellent! Yes, that's it. Glue it in place with plate installed. Now why didn't I think of that? Thank you. Perfect.

I had not planned on doweling block to stretcher. Dowels are for block-to-case attachment at block ends. Gotta go to work now - got a block to glue in place!

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: Pinblock Installation

>OK, so now I have new block fit to plate perfectly. I have plate fit and
>located to case with spacers around plate perimeter - can relocate plate
>perfectly. Now I need to temporarily install block and plate to locate
>block to case for a glue-and-dowel installation. When I temporarily
>install these, block will be located to plate and plate will in turn be
>located to case. How do I locate block to case so that I can remove plate
>and glue and dowel block into its proper place? I know I could do it the
>stein-way and just let the plate end up wherever, but I really don't want
>to give this piano THAT much "personality".

Question: Do you think it's really necessary to dowel the block to the
stretcher? Is the joint under severe enough stress that glue alone wouldn't
suffice? I don't dowel these joints because it seems like overkill to me
for the trouble it takes to do it. I make up a pile of wedges (about 7°)
from cross grain maple, or the old pinblock I took out in the first place
(if it is solid enough). I bevel the front edge of the pinblock the same as
the wedges, apply glue to the rim where the block will mount, and position
the plate with block attached.  With the plate in place so nothing's going
to move, I install the wedges underneath between block and stretcher, with
my glue of choice. I usually start in the middle, inserting a glued wedge
(snug, not driven in) and clamping the stretcher back against the block so
I don't bow it out with the rest of the wedges. The rest are placed in
without clamping, each butted to the previous one until the space is
filled. Next day, detach plate from block, pull plate, install dowels in
block ends, trim wedges underneath, clean up, and that's it.

Other methods are used by other folks.

Ron N