Bad day!

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:32:57 -0600

On the other hand ...

I have made real friends--and regular customers--of many people by
befriending their dogs. Nipping, etc., is certainly an exception but people
are funny about their pets and I can't afford to blow off customers just
because they have big, sloppy dogs.

One customer has a great Dane that loves to stick his nose in as I work,
very curious and likeable beast--big as a horse, though. And he likes to put
his paws up and play the piano, too. No kidding. Kinda hard on the genuine
ivories but the owner doesn't care and the piano is a candidate for our
"bottom ten" list anyway. I just wash up before I leave--or for sure before
I eat!

Ciao for Now, Alan Barnard

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of gordon stelter
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 5:53 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Bad day!

Greetings, Clyde,
     I'm not a glutton for punishment, either! That is
why, if I MUST tune in a home with dogs, I insist that
they be locked up somewhere before I will enter. I
warn the customer ahead of time, by phone, and
resolutely remain outside if they "forget" upon my
arrival. ( In actuality, many dog owners are highly
amused by the grief their curs inflict on strangers,
and "forget" on purpose! The dog allows them to
indulge their anti-social tendencies vicariously,
without legal repurcussions. )
     A few years ago I did a major regulation on a
1948 S&S "M". It took several days, and each day, as I
arrived, I had to negotiate the doggie-dung minefied
in the driveway, carrying heavy toolbxes, a 50 pound
tabletop, etc.. All with a dachsund and miniature
collie yelping incessantly, and nipping at my heels!
Yelping which persisted, unabated, for the many, many
hours this task required, each day giving me blinding
headaches!
     On the last day, aware that I was about to
complete the job and really not caring if I ever saw
this woman or any of her friends again, I just somehow
couldn't contain myself.
     As her barking rats accosted me, she smiled and
said in a cutesy-wootstie little voice :"Oh, look!
They're saying good moooooooorning!" To which I
replied,"No Ma'am, I think they're saying: "If we were
bigger, we'd KILL you and EAT
     She never called me back.
     I don't care.
     Thump