Bad day!

Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:34:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ned Swift" <swiftspiano@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 04, 2003 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: Bad day!

> While dogs are a problem, as you don't know when they are going to bit,
dog
> owners are a bigger problem as you don't know if they are irresponsible or
> not.  Always seems like biting dogs have irresponsible owners.

Along with some others on this list, I also like most dogs. I have
one--often when I am writing on this list my 145 lb mastiff/bull mastiff
mutt is poking her rather substantial nose in between my side and my left
arm. With the size of her head and the momentum behind it, typing can become
some difficult. As I say, generally I like dogs, so I also approach most of
them hoping for the best. Still, I well remember the call to tune and
service a (one-time) customers new Steinway M. I got out of my car and
started up the unfenced walk, the woman saw me coming and opened the front
door. Her small dog trotted out and without a sound came straight up to me
and bit me in the leg. It wasn't a severe bite but did tear my pants and
break the skin. As I later explained to the woman that I would be billing
her for the visit to my doctor and for a new pair of pants she became quite
upset. There was nothing wrong with her dog--I certainly did not need to go
to any damn doctor. And the pants weren't that badly torn--I could have my
wife sew them up, easily. We reached an agreement after I explained to her
that in our county if I chose to report her dog to the local authorities her
dog would automatically be picked up and put to sleep and as far as I was
concerned that was her only other alternative. She agreed to pay for the
doctor and the pants. She also agreed to keep the dog controlled, but I
doubt she really did. I wouldn't know, I had no further contact with her
even though when she called the store for a subsequent tuning she asked "for
that same nice young man that was here before."

Del