Pinblock Installation

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:31:10 EST

In a message dated 04/03/03 11:53:51 AM, brian_trout@hotmail.com writes:

<< Do you think it's really necessary to dowel the block to the
>stretcher? Is the joint under severe enough stress that glue alone wouldn't
>suffice? >>

Brian;
I'm coming in late to this discussion and must admit that I don't know who
has said what, or why...but If you go to the trouble of fitting block to
plate flange and stretcher....... a few dowels are  not that much more
trouble. The benfit is a much more reliable glue joint between block and
stretcher.  Most stretchers have a veneer liner between the stretcher core
and the block soooo when you just glue to the stretcher you are really gluing
to the veneer and trusting on the veneer/core bond for strength. Doweling
gives you a firm connection independent of the veneer/core bond and adds to
the strength of the joint. As for whether or not the block/stretcher adds any
"strength"/stability ....yes it definitely does......... as the sum is
greater than the individual parts......
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)