top ten pianos

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:39:14 -0800

How do you think the sound (i.e. richness, etc...) will compare to
similarly-sized pianos?    also how do you think the stringing scale will
compare?  Would you put some wound strings in the tenor section, or is
this a completely new design so you can design the plate to have the
break in the proper place where you want to have it?   (for example I
think it'd be interesting to see a 9-footer with a 25-note bass (first
plain trichord at a#2), with several wrapped trichords in the bass (maybe
one of 3 ways - either have bichords start at G1 and trichords at F2,
bichords at F#1 and trichords at D2, bichords at F1 and trichords at C2,
or some other scale...  depends on the size of the piano... I'd have no
idea what's best for a 9'2" piano.

----- Original message -----
From: "Ron Overs" <sec@overspianos.com.au>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:25:56 +1100
Subject: Re: top ten pianos

I was wondering how you might respond to Kevin's question. A very
good answer indeed, thanks Del. I'm very much looking forward to
seeing your piano also.

I'm planning to have the new 280 concert grand built by mid next
year, but it may well be a bit ambitious. I'm still doing the design
at present. I can assure you that the 280 is going to be a very
different instrument in numerous areas, when compared to the 225
piano we exhibited in Reno. And it most certainly will not be a clone
of what's gone before.

Best,
Ron O.

--