Air hammers/palm nailers revisited

Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:13:11 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stan Kroeker" <stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 04, 2003 10:44 AM
Subject: Air hammers/palm nailers revisited

> Greetings to all from the deeply-frozen Canadian prairie,
>
> Now that the subject of air hammers has come up again, would those of
> you who use these devices (palm nailers) for pin driving, mind posting a
> brief message to the list?  I would like some assurance that the Danair
> RN-16-8 is the ONLY model to consider, or ... what are the experiences
> of those who use imitators (Porter Cable, Bostich etc.)?
>
> Just a quick note, please, with make, model and price and your expert
> evaluation of the tool's performance (and what size compressor required).

I've seen a few copies on the market for some less than the Danair. However,
I don't know if appropriate tips are available for them. Or if you can call
the boss and have him tell you which tips you need and how to use them. I
also don't know if you'll be able to have them rebuilt for a nominal fee 30
years later as I've had done with my Aerosmith/Danair. (I know, the darn
thing keeps wearing out!) Nor do I know which peoples are being
exploited--if any--in their manufacture.

Del