Quiet(er) Air Compressor

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:28:36 -0600

Hi Dave,

Just a few random thoughts...

I have a 6hp, 25gal Porter Cable air compressor, and I think it's just a tad
on the small side.  But I also do some occasional refinishing in addition to
using air tools of various kinds.  It just keeps up with my spray gun.
(It's also 120volts, which was what I needed for where it is.)

You mentioned getting "small" and "quiet".

As far as "small" goes, small may be good if you need it to be portable.
But if it's for your shop, and you're considering air tools, I might think
on the larger side of things.  Once you start running air tools, a
compressor can get mighty small.  Also, a larger compressor won't run as
much as a smaller one when under a particular heavy demand.

As far as "quiet", I've been pretty pleased with mine.  It's not the
"all-sealed-self-contained" variety.  It has a standard electric motor and a
compressor that runs from a belt off the motor that somewhat resembles a
small gasoline engine.  From the compressors I've seen personally (not a
huge number), the belt driven models seem to run a lot quieter than the
other variety.  I'm sure sound dampening enclosures could be contrived if
necessary.  I haven't needed them myself.

Just a few of my own thoughts.  Others may have more experience with
different types and sizes of compressors that I've never seen.

Good luck,

Brian T.