Pinblock Installation

Mike Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:26:02 -0600

Terry,

Here's the procedure that I was taught - so far I've found no reason to
alter it:

1.  After de-stringing but before removing any plate bolts, drill through
the plate into the inner rim for locating pins or screws - your choice, as
long as they are beefy enough.  Also, measure plate height relative to rim
at tail and both ends of stretcher.

2. after fitting the new pinblock to the plate, install plate and pinblock
into the piano, with pinblock securely screwed to plate and then supported
on jacks from the keybed at the previously measured height.

3.  Make spacers to exactly fill the gap between the pinblock and the top of
the inner rim (which you carefully plugged, scraped and leveled after
removing the old pinblock.

4.  Jack up the pinblock/plate a half inch or so.  Apply a thick coat of
West & colloidal silica to the bottom of the spacers, a small dot or two to
the top, slide into position, and lower the pinblock/plate.  Clean up the
squeeze-out.

5.  When the epoxy has cured, remove the plate, drill through each end of
pinblock into inner rim for locating pins (and screws or dowels, depending
on how you intend to fasten the pinblock to the inner rim), then gently tap
the pinblock to break the glue dots holding it to the spacers.

6.  With the locating pins in place, you can use a similar technique to
install a spacer between the pinblock and stretcher, and fit the blind
dowels between the pinblock and stretcher.

hope this helps

Mike Spalding RPT