are baby grands better than upright verticals?

Sunnia Lin shlin_us@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:59:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am not a piano technician.  I joined the mailing
list because I would like to elicit your expert
opinions.

I am in the market for a piano (new or used).  Since
I've never purchased a piano before, I'd appreciate
your help very much.

I live in an 800 sq ft apartment.  Since I don't have
much furniture, it does look quite spacy.  I think the
place can at the maximum fit a 5'4" baby grand.  I
would like to know if I'll get a bigger bang for the
buck for a baby grand or an upright vertical, in terms
of quality.

Also, what are some "value" brands/models for pianos?
For example, in cars, most people would associate
Camry or Accord "value" cars because of their
reliability/usefulness and price.  And what prices
should I be expected to pay for such "value" pianos if
purchased new?

I guess I would say that I am an intermediate piano
player.  I grew up playing Yamaha and Kawai uprights
(models unsure).

Thanks so much in advance for your help and expertise!

Sunnia