are baby grands better than upright verticals?

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:17:34 -0700

Sunnia,=20
    This is the best advice I can give you. You're looking at a 5'4" =
model.
     Gee, that's right on the cusp between what a piano should be, and =
isn't, and a piano. The Yamaha C2 is 5'8". That, or a Kawai in a similar =
size is what you need. The difference in length is about the size of =
your palm, that's all. I suppose the big question is "how much room do =
you need for the bench?". Right about that size, we get into the problem =
of how to make the piano harmonics sound good, or do we go in for a =
bunch of "compromises". =20
    The Grand Piano has the advantage over an upright by virtue of the =
action. The hammers are returned by gravity, the repetition is quicker, =
the touch is more predictable.
    If you find a piano that is used, always have a piano technician go =
through it before you buy. You should be there while it's inspected. If =
the technician doesn't pull the action out of the piano, ask him to do =
so. It's necessary to examine the condition of the internal parts.=20
    If you go to buy a new piano, be aware of the concept of the "Asking =
Price", as opposed to the "Selling Price."  There may be a lot of =
latitude there. Don't just walk in and buy on impulse.=20
    One last thing. Some dealers don't properly prepare their pianos =
before they send them out. Just because you have a nice brand-new piano, =
doesn't mean that the sound or the touch you're getting from it is what =
you're stuck with. If you have a qualified technician, ask him about =
regulating and voicing the piano. Unlike tuning, these things only have =
to be done once in a great while.
    Your last name is Lin. That would be Chinese, I believe. Then you =
already know how to bargain, right? If not, seek guidance from your =
parents.=20
    Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
  ----- Original Message -----=20