Air hammers/palm nailers revisited

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 07:55:57 +0100

Hello,

The tip I received is open by a 1/2" square (or almost) front and
back, on the lower end so the tip goes in contact with the plate (and
avoid contact with the string/coils) and is used to stop the stroke.
Without these apertures the nailer don't stop , so I've seen pictures
where dip jauges have been made using 2 dowels hold with a collar on
the nailer. With the tip it is not necessary, and the tuning pins
finish all exactly the same height (if you want to).
Just have to regulate the dip with spacers inside the nailer, I
usually don't drive the pins full dip before up to pitch, then I take
off one or 2 spacers and drive them the 1/8 or 2/8 more that are still
missing (usual pin height is 25 mm for me)
Danair tells me they stopped production these tips since a few years
when they see that Piano technicians use their tool a lot, and they
where put in production again (2002 may be).

Hope that help

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech