Lost motion compensator question

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 04:49:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 4:20 PM
Subject: Lost motion compensator question

> Friends,
> > Is there a trick to getting a sticker/wippen assembly out of an old
> upright piano with the lost motion compensator rod?  It appears that you
> can't remove the rod without loosening at least several wippens, and you
> can't remove a sticker/wippen without a major headache unless you first
> remove the rod.  Am I overlooking something?  I dread having to take any
> parts out of this type, so please increase my knowledge!
> > Regards,
> Clyde

    Aha!  I asked this question last year and got no responses.  I have an old upright with a Wessel, Nickel & Gross action with the lost motion compensator rod.  They probably weren't the only action manufacturer that had this feature.  But anyhow, what works on mine is to loosen the set screw for the small vertical rod that connects the hammer rail and the lifter rod.  (Mark where it was first so you can put it back in the same place without a lot of trial and error). This lets the lifter rod drop down a bit.  Then remove the wippen and sticker flange screws and the wippen should be removable.  Mine barely squeezes through, but it does go.   --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver