Quiet(er) Air Compressor

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:13:18 -0500

>I am comparison shoping for my first air compressor.  Have read all the
>archives related to this - and believe I need one with 5-6 cfm at 90psi and
>a 20+ gal tank. Plan to use initially for blowing out and driving pins with
>air hammer.

Dave

I bought a Campbell Hauserman a few years ago from Home Depot.  It is belt
driven, has a 60 gal tank and a cast iron oil lubed pump.  The tank is
vertical so it takes up about as much floor space as a portable compressor.
And having a 60 gal tank means that it doesn't run as often.

I installed mine in my garage and ran black pipe to my shop.  While it is
quieter than a lot of compressors, I didn't want the added noise in my shop.
  Don't know if this is an option for you.  As far as noise goes, it is
about 90dB at 5 feet or about as noisey as my lawn mower. In side my house,
it is hard to tell that it is running.

When I was looking at them, I was advised to get one that has a cast iron
pump as they last longer under heavy use.  FWIW.

Ned Swift
Lowell, MI