what's with the new temperaments?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:12:26 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Vanderhoofven <dkvander@joplin.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: what's with the new temperaments?

> At 02:01 AM 3/4/03, Richard Moody wrote:
> >And you say they chose the Broadwood.  Isn't that ET?
>
> Respectfully, The Broadwood Best or the Broadwood usual are not
>Equal Temperament, they are mild well temperaments.  >
> David A. Vanderhoofven

I think you are referring to an opinion of a modern writer.  If
James Broadwood in 1811 claims to be tuning equal temperament, why
not accept that?
"...the old system of temperament is now deservedly abandoned, and
the equal temperament generally adopted.."  James Broadwood, 1811.
The only controversy here is what he meant by "old system".  I
think it was Meantone, but I need a few more facts to prove that
point.

    Fast forward to the 1870's.  Ellis measured three of
Broadwood's best tuners.  The results are in the appendices of his
translation of Helmholtz.   He makes no mention of "mild well
temperaments".   He presents his measurements in cents in a table
called, "Specimens of Tuning in Equal Temperament"  (p435).  From
the data and his comments I am convinced the objective was ET  and
not a "well" what ever that is.      ----rm