Tunelab & ETD's in General was Accutuner and Pocket RCT

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:38:35 -0600

At 02:01 AM 3/4/03, Alan Barnard wrote:
>I've about decided that I really want to become almost a strictly aural
>tuner. I love the ETD's for pitch raises, bad scale analysis, and the top
>octave ... but it seems like I spend way too much time watching the lights,
>kinda makes me a slave to making them stop dead. Since individual notes are
>going to drift slightly as their neighbors are pulled up, anyway, is it
>really worth the aggravation?

Hi Alan,

I think you would benefit greatly if you went to being a strictly aural
tuner.  This would probably help train your ear and mind to a high level of
perfection.  Ask any of the high level tuners in our profession if training
in strictly aural tuning is neccesary and beneficial.

Having said that, you can pry my tuning devices from my cold dead fingers,
and even then you might not get them away.

Why I would not do without a tuning device:

1.  I can tune a piano in a school cafeteria while 200 children are eating
lunch and talking loudly.  (Yes the piano sounded good!)
2.  I can tune a piano while someone is vacuuming, playing another piano or
musical instrrument (practice room), or during most other noise.
3.  I hardly ever run into a piano tuning that isn't a pitch correction of
some type.  My tuning devices make pitch corrections so much faster and easier.
4.  Any time I want to tune strict Equal Temperament I can do that with
good results.  However, I also regularly use at least 4 or 5 other
temperaments on a weekly basis, and at least 10 or 12 temperaments with
some lesser frequency.  I can truly say that tuning has becoome a joy again
as opposed to just stopping the display.
5.  Chip tunings can be done with high accuracy
6.  I can tune when I have a cold or personally feel lousy
7.  I hold dominion over my computer.  The computer is my slave.  I am not
a slave to my computer.

Now a serious question for you Alan.  How do you use a tuning device for
bad scale analysis?  I don't know how to do that.

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven