Clyde's vent time # 2

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:48:49 -0500

David, you are too much!  :-)

My day was clicking along pretty nicely until I got to my last
appointment.  Daughter will be home, they said.  She wasn't.  After
ringing the doorbell three times, I tried it.  It was unlocked.  Since I
know these folks, I walked into the house and began to clear off the
piano.

About that time I was aware of a faint regular beeping.  "If my guess is
right," I thought to myself, "I am about to hear a security alarm go
off."  The thought had just come to me when that nasty earsplitting
thing went off.  I had this happen once before.  Same situation -- no
one home, alarm set, front door unlocked.  Why do people do that?!

The phone rang although I could barely hear it.  Since I thought it
might be the security company, I answered it.  It was.  I told them what
happened, they called the owner who gave them the code, which they gave
to me, and after ten minutes of that racket all was quiet.  The phone
rang again, and it was the house owner calling to apologize.  I tuned
the piano, washed the keys, repaired a damaged bench hinge, left the
bill and came home.

For anyone who never experienced this happy event, here's a hint.  If
you didn't do anything wrong, don't get in your car and drive away!  You
could make matters worse, and besides, you won't get paid if you don't
tune the piano.  (No, I didn't drive away the last time, either, but I
was surprised at how strong the temptation was to do so!)

Now, I'm going to take the phone off the hook and, if I can settle down,
take a nice nappy.

Regards,
Clyde