Old German Piano

Steve Martin smartin@dodo.com.au
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:49:50 -0000

Terry

yes Iam a piano tech! I completed an apprenticeship and have worked in =
the industry for sometime. I'm aware of the reams of material out there =
on all different subjects piano wise.=20
Terry were you in on the " Newbies" thread sometime ago? It was =
refreshing to read one part  in which a tech wrote that we were all =
newbies to one degree or another. I can't recall who it was - doesn't =
really matter. This person thought that the term ought to be dropped and =
that we should just get on with the business of asking questions!

You wrote:

-----Are you a piano technician? You have basically asked how to =
regulate and weigh off an upright piano. There are entire books and =
courses dedicated to just these procedures.......
In the original post what I was asking was about key weight and whether =
anyone could advise on any possible regulation other than standard, =
which I'd already completed.
I asked mainly seeking some advice on whether anyone would have =
regulated a little differently. Perhaps someone has knowledge on the =
finer points of German pianos?!
Here is what I wrote:

"The job was fairly basic. New dampers, tapes, etc. I regulated it to =
what I thought was a fair standard. Key height 20mm. drop 10.5mm, blow =
47mm, setoff 3mm, dampers begin the travel half way thru' the blow, Key =
mortices are OK. "

Steve Martin.

P.S. Local experts are thousands of kilometers away from here, and even =
then I'm not sure about how many of them I'd trust.

Have a great day!!

 Original Message -----=20