Old German Piano

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:26:24 -0500

Oops! Please accept my appologies Steve. For whatever reason, I thought this might be just a one time project for you. My mistake. If that were the case, I just couldn't even imagine trying to get into touchweight, etc.

So, now that I blew that, what was your question? I think you asked about touchweight and removing leads. I have asked about vertical touchweight and don't think I have ever gotten or found or read a good treatment of it.

"Key height 20mm. drop 10.5mm, blow 47mm, setoff 3mm...."

How are you measuring key height? That is normally measured from the keybed and would most often be in the 60 mm range. What is drop on a vertical? Blow 47 mm - OK - if that works - could go even a tad shorter if that would work better. Setoff 3 mm - I assume you are speaking of let-off. I even sneak it in a bit closer often.

What were your questions? Did you get them answered?

Sorry again.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Martin" <smartin@dodo.com.au>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: Old German Piano

Terry

yes Iam a piano tech! I completed an apprenticeship and have worked in the industry for sometime. I'm aware of the reams of material out there on all different subjects piano wise.
Terry were you in on the " Newbies" thread sometime ago? It was refreshing to read one part  in which a tech wrote that we were all newbies to one degree or another. I can't recall who it was - doesn't really matter. This person thought that the term ought to be dropped and that we should just get on with the business of asking questions!

You wrote:

-----Are you a piano technician? You have basically asked how to regulate and weigh off an upright piano. There are entire books and courses dedicated to just these procedures.......
In the original post what I was asking was about key weight and whether anyone could advise on any possible regulation other than standard, which I'd already completed.
I asked mainly seeking some advice on whether anyone would have regulated a little differently. Perhaps someone has knowledge on the finer points of German pianos?!
Here is what I wrote:

"The job was fairly basic. New dampers, tapes, etc. I regulated it to what I thought was a fair standard. Key height 20mm. drop 10.5mm, blow 47mm, setoff 3mm, dampers begin the travel half way thru' the blow, Key mortices are OK. "

Steve Martin.

P.S. Local experts are thousands of kilometers away from here, and even then I'm not sure about how many of them I'd trust.

Have a great day!!