Actual piano question: Pin strength and chipboard Yamahas

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:52:37 -0800 (PST)

Today I tuned my first, new, Yamaha P-22, Thomaston,
Ga., built piano. Nice piano,staunch plate, but
nothing to get really excited about.
     It did, though, cause me to have great sympathy
for the factory tuner who shared his distress over
pin-setting with us recently, as the pins were
extremely tight, and half of the job ( at least! ) was
in attempting to get clean unisons by relieving
torsion. It was very hard to get a clean unison, and
whether it will hold is anybody's guess, as the
slightest hammer preessure seemed to induce twist.
   Which made me wonder: Has anyone done a systematic
test of all the available pin brands for torsion? This
would be quite easy if one had accesss to a
metallurgical lab (University?) where those gadgets
which twist samples until they break are used. I would
imagine that the pin with the highest twist-breaking
strength and the most uniform diameter would be my
choice!
     Also: This piano had a bit of a "thubbiddy" tone,
as one might expect from a piano with a chipboard
case. ( Also probably why the plate's so beefy, I
guess.) And when I removed the bottom panel for a DC
installation, the tone changed. Not just louder,not
just free-er but percievably different as this sound
absobing panel was removed.
     I thought it would be interesting for someone to
build a solid wood cabinet around one of these backs
and observe the difference.