verrry interesting!! :-)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:16:03 -0600

>Jim:
>     Just as a matter of interest. Did you remove all...all the bass
> strings or a goodly number of bass strings before the other strings began
> to 'pop'?
>      Those that seem to 'know' claim an entire set of bass strings can be
> removed and then replaced without reducing pressure on the tenor and
> treble strings....BUT I have never been that brave. For fear of plate
> stress and strings breaking, I usually replace every other bass string
> which of course makes the job much more difficult.
>
>Tommy Black

Through the years, I've replaced a bunch of bass bridges in pianos sitting
in customers' homes at or near pitch. I've never lowered tension in any
part of the piano except the bass in these situations, and never had a
problem. In fact, disconnecting the bass strings from the hitches
altogether doesn't even affect the tuning of the rest of the piano nearly
as much as you think it ought to.

In stringing, the bass strings are put on last anyway, after everything
else is at pitch and settled. It's not a big deal unless there's a critical
structural problem - in which case you're likely doomed whatever you do.

Ron N