verrry interesting!! :-)

Guy & Karen Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:40:22 -0700

At 11:16 PM 3/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>Through the years, I've replaced a bunch of bass bridges in pianos sitting
>in customers' homes at or near pitch. I've never lowered tension in any
>part of the piano except the bass in these situations, and never had a
>problem. In fact, disconnecting the bass strings from the hitches
>altogether doesn't even affect the tuning of the rest of the piano nearly
>as much as you think it ought to.

I've never had a problem with bass string removal and replacement,
stress-wise, and yes.... the rest of the tuning is barely affected, usually.
I did notice, though, that after removing the killer octave from a S&S D
that the C#5 at the break was 20cents sharp. I had plucked it for aural
reference when I started chipping, and Tunelab auto-selected it and showed
me the variance. Odd, I thought. This D had all of the top section removed
and restrung, then the killer octave (and 1/2). Once strung and chipped,
the tenor settled back down to almost dead on 440.
So... conclusion.... thar be stresses on that plate ,Captain!

Later,
Guy