Weird, unique spinet

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 21:47:06 -0800

After tuning a customer's first piano, which was business as usual (except
that it was 110 cents flat!),I wast then asked if I had time to tune their
"other" piano in the den.  At first glance it was immeditely apparant that
this was not a full 88 note piano, but rather C1-A7, or 6 notes less. But
then I opened the top and ......holy S##T! The tuning pins were positioned
on TOP, like a grand, with the piano strings extending down like going over
a "waterfall" is the best way to describe it! Piano was made by the now
defunct Louis Zwick piano company, from Copenhagen, Denmark! What a gem of a
little piano.  It was in phenomonal condition given the 48 year age, but
tuning it was a real bear. The strings and pins were pristine as new, and
the term. points were all smooth as glass, but rendering was very difficult
because of the way the strings "bent" up and over to reach the tuning pins,
plus the fact that the pins had no bushings. Anyway, that's why I love this
business; you never know what you'll find! I'm going back to snap some
digital pics to keep as a reminder of this quite unusual piano. As for the
action, I suggested that the hammers could benefit from a filing/reshaping,
but there's no apparent way to remove it "up and out",  as the keybed would
have to be removed, (which would NOT be fun) so i'm left wondering if it
could be lowered out through the bottom. If anyone is familiar with this
kind of piano/action, i'd love to hear from you. thanks!

Terry Peterson