verrry interesting!! :-)

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:12:33 -0600

Hi Gordon,

You wrote:
>Maybe not just plate stress. Maybe soundboard rising,
>increasing tension on remaining strings.

I'd kind of doubt that considering there had been very few strings removed
from the long bridge before the first one of the treble strings popped.

In most instances, you won't find much bearing on a bass bridge, especially
on one that's heavily cantilevered.  And in such a case, you wouldn't find
the soundboard to have risen much (if at all) with the removal of only the
bass strings.

This is an interesting one.  I would have been curious as to what pitch was
doing on those strings in the upper sections as the lower strings were
coming off.  But that's one of those things that you probably wouldn't think
of until it's too late.

Just a couple of random thoughts.

Brian T.