Old German Piaon

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:11:58 +0930

Hi Steve,

Just referred back to your original post. Have to ask, what brand name =
on the piano ? a few of the old German pianos have a heavier than usual =
touch which is caused by the keys being weighted at the back but a small =
warning. Removal of the leads will lead to a slow action. In some of =
these actions the wippen assembly is very light and if you have any =
tightness in the centres the wip's will not return.
Also, Townsville is a humid place, if the piano is old and has been in =
the area for some time then I would suggest that you check all the =
centres as if they are tight then the whole action will feel tight.
Problem being at this time of the year with the high humidity any =
centrepin swing test will show a little tightness.  You mat try the =
swing test on a hammer first for three to four swings. This would equate =
to five to seven when the weather dries out. If you are air-conditioned =
then go for the 5 to 7.
Townsville, how long have you been there ? are you a member of the Qld =
Guild ? do you chat on with the other two tuners there ? There was an =
old guy there, can't remember his name offhand but I believe that he =
really new his stuff. Could be worth chasing him up and saying hello.

And Brisbane is only a days drive away. Try living in Darwin and working =
in Alice.

Regards

Tony Caught
Australia