Actual piano question: Pin strength

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:32:51 -0600

Greetings Marcel,
                              The Rockwell test is used to check
hardness.  May or may not be useful.   Hardness can be accompanied by
brittleness, and may make a given material useless,in supporting torsional
stresses.
There is a big difference between compression strength, verses tension
strength.
I would love to see some figures, that include ductility, carbon content etc.
I have not see any real problems with either of the mentioned brands.   You
can bet that all three brands have done their home work, with regards to
overall strength.   And then had to make choices.

The diameter of the pin would have a big effect on the overall strength, to
resist shearing.

Now the cat is amongst the pigeons.  <G>

Have a great day.

roger