Warning; OT Politics,Special to Mr. Alan Barnard. Not for the high of blood pressure

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:53:29 -0700

First off, I would like to apologize for any off topic discussions I
have participated in, which have caused anyone's inbox discomfort.
Those of us who receive all the emails, sometimes an off-topic post or
two is a welcome addition to the normal load.   Sometimes these
discussions beg to be discussed.  But point taken, and I apologize for
any part I've had in it.  While everyone's technical information here is
helpful, it is clear that at least one of us is in the business of
getting goats.  I apologize that I have allowed my goat to be gotten!
:-)

Talking about dogs is one thing, but bringing politics and religion into
it is quite another.. No matter who's politics and religion it is.

To bring up anything in relation to impending war, which people
obviously have mixed emotions about, is simply insensitive.  Regardless
of what we think about what's going on anywhere else in the world, we
don't know all the facts.  No matter what each of us believes in our
hearts is right or wrong, people are about to lose their lives on both
sides of the conflict, and that's not a light matter.  Whether you think
violence brings violence, or whether you think we need to strike before
stricken, bringing such opinions to a list where we aren't discussing
face to face with understanding, will only bring descent.  I'm sorry
that I'm kind of long winded about a subject we're all calling for an
end to.  But I think it's important for each of us to think about what
we're saying here before we all start insulting each other's morals,
ideals, and beliefs.  To tell someone to put his Bible away may be
offensive to someone else who reads his Bible, and wants peace for the
world.  Conversely, making light of what is going on in the Middle East
might be blatantly offensive to someone who has served in our great
nation's Military.  I think we need to as a group steer clear of this
subject matter.  I think it will take us to a place where nothing will
be resolved, and feelings will be hurt.  I myself am going to try to not
stoop to a lower level and get into a scrap over politics, and I ask
others to do the same.  If we really want to discuss what we think about
what's going on, then let's setup a situation where thoughts will be
heard, and discussed, in a mediated environment.  Let's not do it on a
list where every post is a strategic response to whatever was said last.

I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it was meant.  This is not
meant to yell at anyone, or to express any view points of my own, but
simply to call a time-out for a minute so that we can all think before
responding to such sensitive matter.

Again, I apologize if this in itself has offended anyone, it certainly
is not meant to.

Jonathan Finger RPT

Thanks for the clarification, Alan! Without you, but
what would I do??????????
Of course I realize that there are moral and immoral
people in every culture and religion. I also realize
that, thanks to our media, many foreigners see us as
loud, sex crazed, intoxicated, greedy buffoons. Which
puts us at danger from fanatics who think they will be
doing God a favor by hurting us.
     By the way: I just read a lovely article about
the 7 strains of anthrax "our" government provided
"So-Damn Insane" back in the 80's (Reagan-Bush) when
he was our "friend", and we were helping him target
his enemies (Kurds and others) and kill them with the
nerve gas, etc. that we provided. ( About which we
complained not for 2 years because he was still our
"friend". )And how Dubya snatched up that 12,000 page
weapons report from Baghdad and edited it before the
U.N. could read it for, ostensibly,"National Security"
reasons: these being that Bush didn't think it would
be good "P.R." if the world knew that American and
Japanese companies originally BUILT Saddam's weapons
of mass destructiuon, and gave or sold them to him,
which is precisely why Bush knows what Iraq still
has!!! ( But won't tell us how he