first gigs!

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:11:38 -0500

Charles,

It sounds to me like you're right on target.  When I started, two hours was
relatively standard for even a simple tuning.  Now I'm frequently in and out
of the house in an hour.

My responses:

It usually takes about fifteen seconds for me to retrieve a mute from the
bottom of the piano.  If you couldn't spare that much time, you were *very
much* in a hurry!  <G>

Since you live in New York, *any* piano tuned during this exceedingly long and
very cold winter will be even sharper than normal in the summer, unless the
humidity is controlled in some way.  This winter I am finding nearly every
piano much flatter than normal, even if I tuned it in March a year agoand even
if the piano has a history being close to where I tuned it a year ago.  So I
do an awful lot of pitch floating.

If the piano is located directly by a heat source, that is going to make the
problem even worse.  Whenever I find this situation, I inform the customer not
only of the problem with tuning but also that this may end up causing
expensive damage, and I suggest they move it to a better location if they can,
or at least try to shield the back of the piano from the heat behind/under it
as much as possible.  You might want to tell them that also.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA