Yamaha U1 regulation problem

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:27:38 -0500

Tom,

OK, I certainly hope someone gives you a good answer, because I NEED IT,
TOO!

I get so frustrated when I find this in pianos that I have been
recommending.  For those with modest piano replacement budgets I've been
recommending the P22.  My daughter just bought one.

Last week I serviced a 1978 Yamaha P202 with a number of torn flange
cords, which is part of the problem, and another part of the problem is
insufficient dip in the center.  So I need to replace the flange cords
and do a good job of key leveling.  On a few keys where I already put in
a new flange, I was able to stop the bobble by removing front rail
punchings to increase the key dip.  I thought that was probably the
answer, but I hate doing things sort of slipshod like this.  I would
rather have more-than-average keydip on the whole piano than here and
there.  But the question in my mind is, if I *did* increase key dip,
either at the front or balance rails, would that solve the problem?

I once thought I could just shim up the whole balance rail a little.  In
that Yamaha P22 the thing was *glued down*!!

Is it the springs, as Ken Jankura thinks?  Should I stop recommending
Yamaha verticals?  :-(

HELP!

Regards,
Clyde